Monday, March 18, 2013

March 4, 2013


Well, I'm definitely not fluent, and probably won't be for a while. I've heard that most people figure things out in their 3rd or 4th transfer, and I am halfway through my 2nd. I do study my Hungarian scriptures from time to time, but I don't have any cheat sheets in mine! I'll need to get that from him, haha

So here's what's been happening this week-

Last week, Elder Judd and I went to Tesco (the equivalent to WalMart) and then to a dusty old thrift store, and I have never felt so at home until then! Haha. It was like me and Ian in the good old days.

On Wednesday, we had some free time, so we went tabling, which means we sat at a table covered in Book of Mormons and Free English Class flyers, and waited for people to come talk to us. And of course, only the crazies do! So this drunk guy comes up and looks at our pamphlets with pictures of Jesus on them, and starts to weep. Then he wanted to chat with us about stuff, and we were just waiting for him to bumble off. Then he introduced himself as István the King and explained why he had no crown, haha. Then he left.

An hour later, this same guy comes back, looks at the pictures of Jesus, and starts crying again. Then he took out about 5 dollars worth of Forint and put it on the table. We were all like, "Az nem kell! (Woah, thats not necessary!)" And he said, "Igen! Kell! (Yes! It's necessary!)" Why? "Mert Istvan MONDTA!!!! (Because Istvan SAID!!!)" Then His Highness walked off somewhere.
So we got free juice at the grocery store. The end.

Also, since this was my first full week in the new transfer, we have been able to get things more situated with some time after the awkward changes of getting a new senior companion. My new comp is a really cool guy, but it has also been pretty different adjusting to a different teaching style than Elder Bracken. To be honest, I don't really like the way that Elder Judd teaches, probably because compared to Bracken, he doesn't speak as well, or nearly as completely as I would like him to. I find myself speaking in lessons more, simply because I'm not satisfied with the way that Judd taught. 
One thing that drives me crazy is the fact that when we are speaking with someone who knows English, Judd will only talk in English, which means that I can't really practice, and the other person doesnt necessarily understand anything. But its all good. Today, we were teaching a guy like that, and towards the end, I decided to at least finish off the lesson in Hungarian, so I bore my testimony about the Book of Mormon and asked him to read every single day, all in Hungarian. It was really cool for me to be able to do that since I haven't been able to teach big segments of lessons very much!

Also, after that lesson and a couple others, a lot of our investigators have been telling me that they can see big improvements in my Hungarian! 

Well, thats about it. Have a good week everybody!!!

Love, 
Elder Young

No comments:

Post a Comment